Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The perplexities of change

( I like that word....if it is a word :)--probably because it has 2 of the letter P's like peach in it )


"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."


I've been thinking lately alot about changes. The past 3 years have brought about a lot of changes to my life. Change is scary for a lot of people. I think honestly it probably scares more of us then we would admit. The older we get we find the 'routine' of our 'normal' lives are easier to set in motion each day then to grab ahold of anything new or challenging that might come our way. We wake up each morning and expect our cars to start to take us to work, to school or wherever we may be set to go to without pause, and only stop to think about it if those vehicles don't start up for us the way we 'expected' them to.

People fear moving out of their comfort zones. Moving out of their 'homes', their towns, jobs, their lives into something that is........unknown. The unknown territory or places of our lives are the places that cause us to tremble and stumble. Funny thing is, those are the places we grow closer to Christ and closer to the ones we love as we stumble our way through those 'scary' places. I've seen this too often these past few years.

It would be so easy to stop and complain and carry on about how horrible it is to go through much of what the kids and I have been through especially early on, but I choose to only see those changes now as positive ones. Postive ones Jenice, how in the world could going through a divorce and watching your family get ripped apart be a postive change? Positive in that, Im a stronger, healthier person today then I was 3 years ago. Before my life took a complete 360 degree turn, and left remains much like that of whats left after a tornado hits a home of my life I was relying to much on my own ability to make things happen. Anyone who knows me first hand would say Im a capable person. I was raised by a mom and dad who wouldn't pay to have much done for them so I learned early on how to take care of things. Give me a hammer, Ill hang up dry wall, give me a good receipe Ill cook it up no problem, give me a textbook Ill teach my children.......Strength in my ability was never something I questioned, until a year or so ago. Its funny when you are lead on a brand new path and see the positive elements of those changes, when you try to turn back to your old ways you know something is just 'wrong'. It almost seems to rub me raw now when I try to do things 'my' way. Thats the kind of change Im talking about. The change of attitude and position in life. Am I in control of the outcome? Absolutely not. Can I make a difference? Absolutely I can. Can I wake up each morning and face the challenges of change with a positive look? You betcha! Will I continue to struggle with change? I guarantee it!

I know that much about myself, but I also know that watching some people who can't wait to take a vacation but then the stress of the things that are involved in taking one become to great and it ruins it for her.........I don't ever want that to be who I am. The stress of change should be something we yearn and look forward to seeing what God is going to do with us in the process. Not something we cower in a corner and run from.

Change in all things is sweet.
Aristotle

“The key to change... is to let go of fear.” Rosanne Cash


“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” Maria Robinson








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home