Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Chick Flicks

I've been slowly hand picking out some of my favorite all time movies and watching them with the girls lately. The girls are now huge Meg Ryan and Julia Robert fans. I have had to be careful on the movies I choose for them because I don't want to expose them to parts of life they have no idea about or cause the questions to fall that Im not prepared to answer with them yet. We watched Serendipity with the brief exception of one scene, Run away Bride, as well as all the Jane Austen based movies I insist they will love and they argue but always agree. Meg Ryan has been at the top of their list of want to watch movie stars after seeing You Got Mail. Joe verses the Volcano we watched over the weekend too and they got a kick out of that one. I wanted to watch When Harry Met Sally, but since there was just too much I would have to fast forward through on that one for them I chose to watch it this afternoon while the kids were still in school.

Something in that movie just seemed to leave a question hanging in the air. Watching Harry slowly come to the conclusion he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Sally during the New Years Eve he spent alone made me wonder, isn't that the way it usually is? Its like the picture gets clear all of a sudden and you know without a doubt what you want your life to be like ahead. But do we always jump with as much enthusiasm as Harry did in the movie?

Harry's words made tears well up in my eyes even though this was probably the 10th time Ive watched the movie. "Well how about this way. I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out, I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich, I love when you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts, I love that after I've spent the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm alone, and it's not because its New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to begin as soon as possible."

2 Comments:

Blogger Lee Warren said...

I haven't seen When Harry Met Sally in years. After reading this post, I soooo need to go watch it again.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Peach said...

I hope you enjoy it as I did :)

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home