Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Pink Moon

Breathing outside makes you cough, the air isn't the crisp air of Autumn. Ashes fall from the sky, and cover the ground like it would if it was snow, making a mess of things and it leaves a reminder of what we are living.

Four years ago fire desolated and scared families but the fires of San Diego this year nothing comes close to in my lifetime.

I received a call from my mother early Tuesday morning. "We are being evacuated." Helplessly I sat waiting for them. My mother franticly worried, was suppose to be at the hospital waiting on my grandmother coming out of surgery this morning, what was happening? A new fire. A fire in an area that had just been cleared out by fire 4 years ago. Not again. Over 25 percent of the families in Southern California were evacuated! Thats just insane. The evacuations came at an eager response on the part of California to outdo the last emergency in my mind. Whats been stated over and over again, 'we have learned from the aftermath of Katrina", but this is not Katrina. Families have lost 'stuff' but with warning....lots of warning.

My parents finally received word late this afternoon they could return home. This was after last night none of us getting sleep when Vista had been added to the list of threatened communities and the city in which my parents live was listed as one of the newly fire eaten paths. My mom thought of silly things, like 'who was going to be there to feed the birds outside'. She was scared, I was scared. Its an unnerving feeling to be so helpless and without word to what is really going on..

Tonight there was a pink moon. The largest whole moon seen in a very long time Im told, and for us, its pink.

I cry and pray each night for all the families I know who still are not sure if their homes are standing....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home