Sunday, March 04, 2007

Significance?

As far as I can recall back in my childhood I can remember being completely facinated by lights. Driving at night my sister would fall asleep in the car on a road trip somewhere, but me, I'd be staring out the window looking at the lights. Lights capture my attention, I can't help but stare at lights in the dark and be awestuck.

Flying into the San Diego Airport this evening it was crystal clear except for one little cloud that covered the full moon. I sat peering out of the airplane window as we sailed across the air looking at all the lights over San Diego. You can look out of that small little window of an airplane and feel like the smallest little insignifant bug. Who am I really I questioned myself as I sat thinking, and what really is my importance? Looking out that window I saw one small square of a home and then another .......so many people, who would care if I, Jenice, disappeared and was never seen of again? Yes a bit melodramatic, a bit emotional, but given I have had to say good bye again, it shouldn't be too surprising that I found myself feeling a bit contemplative on the flight home. It is so easy to be up in the sky in a small airplane looking down upon the city below you and feel so completely small and insignificant.

One of my all time favorite scriptures is John 8:12 "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." I strive to be as Christlike as I can and I will also admit I fall short of this each and every day. I sat there thinking about all the things I want to do, all the things I use to think I should no longer be allowed to do. After going through a divorce it is easy to feel like there is a red letter D stamped on your forehead. You feel stained, soiled and completely worthless. Who in the world would ever want to listen to me or seek advice from me again? This has been the opinion of myself. Writing a book has made me take on this fear dead on. Not that I think I would be ministering to anyone in writing this book, but all the same who in the world would care to read it? Fear, and the questioning of my signficance. Jesus told us to walk in the light. He also told us to be a shining light. The lights that draw my attention are those who set their lives apart from the world. People who Love people. People who offer encouragement to those they hardly even know. What lights are you drawn to? What light do you want to be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home