Monday, February 13, 2006

White Knuckled Experience

Today Im alive....hard to belive after experiencing the drive I had from Up North down to Boise. Early this morning as we head off to Spokane, it was snowing! Snowing!!! It was beautiful until.....we started to drive in it. Cars were swerving, but I held on. I figured it was a heavier car, they were on the road and no chains I should be ok. I was wrong. About 15 minutes into our drive, with a fresh WONDERFUL coffee from the cutest little shop The Leapord Latte, the semi truck that had been in front of me started to slow down, but I couldn't keep the truck from advancing into it, so I decided to go over to the other lane, one I didn't want to go to, it was more icy, but had no choice, .....and then I swerved....tried to control the car but I couldnt and lost control, 2 complete 360 degree turns we made on that freeway just outside of Spokane. The girls screamed, and then started to cry, they thought we were going to die. I was in shock. Before I knew it the car was over to the side of the road, stalled and we weren't hit....by some miracle, we were alive. Three semi trucks flew by and didn't hit us. The 3 cars behind me spun out and hit nothing....we were alive. It took everything in me to continue on. That was after I could figure out how to use my head and get the stalled car working again. For some reason it doesn't want to start when not in park. :P Onward we went, and I still in shock. It took about an hour to get to where the road was no longer slick and scary. At this point it hit me. I started to cry....my life and everything important in it flashed by me. I saw faces that mean so much to me, and I cried. But I had to keep myself in control....couldn't completely let go, had to show myself to be brave for the kids. The road was longer then I remembered going up from Boise. We hit so much bad weather and at times I hardly could see 10 feet ahead of me. But tonight, I am alive.....I thank God for that. To think this was anything but a God experience you would be kidding yourself.

Note: My youngest later tonight as we sat eating with friends, said. I want to do that again....that was fun! arrrgh.... the mind of a 7 year old, to have that again.


Do I really have 14 hours more of driving to go.....I do and the goal to get it done and over all in one haul...maybe unrealistic, especially if they are saying possible snow here tonight....but Im praying I can do it.

2 Comments:

Blogger PalinDrome said...

It's people like you that make driving in the snow scary for people like me. :)

Growing up in Montana (before Global Warming ruined winter), we would have snow on the ground from Halloween to at least St. Patty's Day.

There was this one corner in Bozeman that I used to do 360s on purpose. My roommate hated when I would do that.

Then there was the time when my Mom did a 580 with a twist and we ended up with the Wagoneer on its roof. The first thing out of my mouth was "Do you think we will blow up?" As if my mom was not freaked out enough.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Peach said...

ok ok but How the heck is a California Girl suppose to know HOW to drive in the snow/icy whatever its called weather.....sheez I suppose in some respect if I wasn't 1500 miles away from home and didn't have 4 other lives dependent on my safe driving it would have been fun.....and sure looking back it was kinda cool BUT well shoot get rid of the semi trucks on the road Id be a happier camper all around!

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home