Wednesday, October 04, 2006

My Oma

On the drive home Monday I received a call from my mother. I had been curious the prior Thursday seeing her drive around to visit my grandmother while I was getting ready to take the kids to school that morning. My grandmother (Oma) doesn't get up very early in the morning any more), so I had called that day to check with my mother to see what was up. She assured me nothing and that she was having a CAT scan and nothing more. See I was already aware things weren't so well with her and this didn'nt alarm me too much. So on the drive home my mother calls. She lets me know that well actually Oma was admitted into the hospital on Thursday to have tests run because she really wasn't doing well at all. Grrr family, more specifically the women of my family. I do realize that I fall into this category, but at times it can be frustrating to be the one on the other end. My mother told me she didn't want to spoil my weekend so she didn't tell me that day or on Friday so that I could get away and have fun. So my Oma has been in having countless tests run and they still haven't yet narrowed it down to what the problem is. That leaves me feeling guilty. She only lives around the corner from me, walking distance even. Lately I have been over a bit more then usual, but I fall short of what I should in visiting her.

Oma moved from Germany 58+ years ago on a ship after my grandfather had been shipped over after the war as one of the scientists scooped up. She traveled by ship with 4 children, my mom and aunt (twins) still in diapers. Moved out to a brand new country and had to learn to speak English. She was determined and did well after attending school and making the kids only speak English in the home. Around the time I was 12 years old it was discovered my Grandfather had been messing around with my grandmothers best friend who lived in the house across the road (owned by my grandparents). My grandmother was heartbroken. I can still remember the sounds of her crying those first few nights as she slept with us. She lived through this as she lived through the other hardships of being orphaned, through the wars, and the depression. She is a fighter. I'd like to think I get a bit of my personality from her. She has been there for me the past few years as I walk a similar one as her. The only difference being that I have children still in the home and she didn't. Her comment to me about moving on in my life and getting married one day again was, "I just don't know how you could trust again, Jenice?" I just looked at her and said, with the Lord on my side I have to Oma. I can't crawl back into a hole and not come out fearful of what may or may not happen.

My Oma is 88 years old, I know her time here is limited, as it is for all of us. I have a peace knowing that she loves the Lord and I know that she will be waiting up there for me one day too. For now though, I am commited to see her and love her more frequently no matter how hard it is to fit into my hectic schedule. People are more important then the events in our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home