Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Words that encourage-priceless


Most of us walk through our lives searching for a bit of 'signficance'. Where do I fit in? Who cares if I am here? Do I really make a difference?

Im not sure about you but those are words that cross my mind when I walk into a room of people I don't know. The older I get the more unsure of myself I can feel when I don't know what to expect. Taking this position and working part time was a hurdle for me to cross. Walking into an office environment, trying to feel like I can fit in, but not really sure I would or wanted to, it was a bit of a struggle. It's been a good fit.

Last week I was called into the owners office, always a bit intimidating. I had a couple of ideas about what I was called in for, but I still wasn't 100 percent certain. A week before I had been called in to be told that a coworker has cancer and she wanted us to all act as if life was normal around her. Thats isn't so easy to do. So last week, I wasn't really sure what to expect, at the same time the guy who is directly wasn't in the office either.

The owner is a great business owner, and a great Christian man. He wanted to thank me again for all I've done, and check with me about some projects that a bunch in the office were talking about giving me. He knew it wasn't in my so called 'job' description but wanted me to know that everyone likes me and trusts me so its easy for them to want to give me more. Cute really, but this can be an issue for someone like me who doesn't know how to say 'no'. He let me know that he was aware of my needs, needing to be there for the kids first, and needing flexible hours. He didn't want to give me more and ask more of me, unless I was ready or wanting. We talked and came to a good compromise, one that helps the business but keeps me flexible. The conversation made me feel important, needed and appreciated. Something, honestly, I haven't had in a really really long time.

Motherhood can be difficult, children don't know to appreciate all that a mom does for them. I don't have a spouse here to encourage me and support me. Im a lone in the process. For years I never would have seen or suggested that a mom might need a job to find significance. But for today, in my circumstances of life, I highly suggest it. I'm blessed that I have a job that the business understands where my priories lay. Im blessed to have the flexibility to work how and where I need to. I'm blessed and feeling encouraged again in life and that's simply put, priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home