Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Story worth repeating with a bit of 'peach' theology mixed in

A man sits in the LAX airport waiting for his 6:10 flight to New York City. He knows this route well since he takes this flight back and forth twice a week and has been doing it for 7 years now. He knows the people, he has his laptop, he knows what he can get done during this time, he knows the airlines, he knows the plane. He could do this blindfolded.

In another corner of this crowded gate, a elderly woman is surrounded by her family. They keep saying words of encouragement to make her feel better since she has never flew before. She is scared to death. She has a family member she needs to see on the other side of the US and this is the fastest way to get there.

Minutes pass like hours for her and finally there is the last boarding call. Her family stays with her and even follows her down the passageway as far as they can go encouraging her along the way. Bidding her good bye the gate closes.


Who arrives first?

Chris was on a role this Sunday at church. He had us sitting on the edge of our seat trying to figure out the simple answer to my simplified version of his story. The entire church was thinking it was a trick question. My head was going in circles....well if she is in the front of the plane she would be there first. Well, since she needs assistance and would be off the plane after the man, he would be there first. Silly huh. It was simple............the both arrived at the same time.

Faith was what Chris was talking about. His story was to teach us about faith. Faith the size of a mustard seed. I don't know about you but this has always been one of those verses that stumped me. There are a few that I have a hard time wrapping my head around. While I have been attending church since I was a small girl at 5 there are several Bible stories I have heard over and over again. Some I hold true to my heart, and some I still to this day struggle to understand. The woman who had faith and was sick and reached out to touch Jesus when he passed by. I got that kind of faith.....the kind of faith that you could could understand. She believed in Christ so much that she just wanted to touch Him. But faith the size of a mustard seed.....that kind can be good enough....I really have struggled with this.

The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.
—Luke 17:5-6 NIV


Chris's story held my heart on Sunday. I have been thinking about it ever since. I can have a small bit of faith and be willing to take a small step forward and it amounts to the same thing in God's eyes as a man who has all the faith in the world. I took the step....that's all God asked for....I have the faith, its all he requires of me. We both get there at the same time.....regardless of the 'quantity' of our faith.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home