Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A snapshot in time with my dad

Today I had one of those moments, one that you hold dear to your heart, that made me take the time out to stop and want to write about it. But, first let me go back a bit.

Over the weekend, on Saturday that is, we decided to hit the beach. Great, except they were saying a possible chance of rain......took me a bit by surprise, we don't usually have this kind of weather this time of year, but then again, this hasn't been any sort of a 'typical' year. So out we headed and sure enough, downpour of rain the entire drive until we hit the coast, fortunately it was clear. I didn't really stop to think too much about the rain, I wasn't home to really think about it. Until, Sunday. After Dennis and the kids headed home, I had a bit to do in cleaning up. Plus I had Emily's trip stuff to still put away. I went into my room and pulled down the large suitcase to put the smaller one inside and upon doing so, I got my head splashed with water. Ha Ha you think, let me just add that Ashley and I had just been talking about how nice it had been that it was over a year since we have had a flood. The humor of that fact, didn't escape me as I became away, my ROOF was leaking.

Called my mom right away, this was before I knew that my dad's surgery was scheduled just around the corner, and let her know I needed their flood control service 'Yet again!' I could hear her voice drop, I assured her I was being dramatic and just wanted Dad's opinion of what to do. They decided to reseal the vents on top and that might easily solve the problem. So that leads us to today.

Today my mom, aunt and dad were over. Nice, nice to spend time with my family just out of the blue, in the middle of the week. My mom and aunt didn't stay as long as my dad, but still it was nice. My dad had decided he could handle going up on the roof, much to mom's hesitation, but he said he could. He also decided he wanted to take this opportunity to teach Andrew how to do this for me. I completely agreed. So up they went, and I got to keep my feet promptly on the nice ground. Afterwards, Andrew needed to interview my dad for his school project. He needed someone to interview that used math in their daily work activies. Being that my dad was a mechanical engineer up until a couple of years ago when they retired and has a few pantents under his belt he was a perfect pick for my son. So in my livingroom I sat listening to my son interview my dad. I could see my son lighting up with his interest level as my father talked about what he had done for so many years, working on those seals for the oil refinery's all over the world. My son was full of questions, from how in the world we get gas, to how can we possibly get all sorts of fuel from crude oil. Honestly, I learned a lot just listening to them. It was one of those perfect sort of snapshots you want to just hold as close to your heart as you can when you think back about those moments in time that mean so much to you. My dad talked a little about the upcoming procedure, I could tell he is nervous, which makes me nervous since my dad is always confident. But for today, Ill just hold onto this moment in time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home