Monday, December 18, 2006

Flying

This weekend I flew out to Phoenix and spent the weekend with Dennis and the kids. It was the first time I had flew this year and the process still amazes me. Shuttle you in, strip you down, herd you through and then pack you in. It was harder and easier since I had the check in a large bag. I had already shopped for his kids and parents so I brought those along with me. The stress to getting down to the airport wasn't much fun. No one likes to be on the freeways around here between the hours of 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm but my flight left at 6pm on Friday. So the trip down to the airport had me a bit fried. The flight out was only 45 min, that left the airline stewards/stewardesses running to get us all served....and then there were the children.

On the flight out there were about 5 children flying alone. I know this because while I was in line I watched them board and wave goodbye to their mothers at the gate. These children boarded the flight and I sat near them to watch the experience through their eyes. A few of the kids had this system down pat. But there was one child, one who had never flown before. The eldest of the group who had flown plenty of times in the past sat down very seriously next to the newbie and explained the rules of the plane. Stay in your seat she said, dont kick the seat in front of you, and be really quiet. One of the airline stewardess was listening apparently and walks over bends down and looks at this little boy in the eyes and says.... "make sure you run around the plane, kick the seat in front of you and scream at the top of your lungs" she had a twinkle in her eye as she told this to the little boy (who was obviously nervously excited) and moved on to help the remaining passengers loading.

Children across the globe have to move around in 'custody' agreements and follow rules each day of their lives. This stewardess knew that this little boy, needed permission to 'break' the rules now and again. Ill add he never made a peep or moved out of his chair the entire 45 min flight, but at the same time, he seemed a bit more relaxed as we took off then he might have been if she hadn't of stopped to put a smile on his face. We need more people like this in our lives :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home