Friday, December 22, 2006

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas?


For 38 years this has been a dream of mine. To experience a Christmas with a white blanket covering the ground outside of my home. As a child I would sit at the end of my bed, when I was really young, and pray that that night before Christmas that Santa or God or whoever might be listening would give me the greatest wish I wanted for Christmas....a ' snow covered' backyard. I haven't had that yet, and it won't be an experience Ill have this Christmas. As the years went on, I slowly realized that living in Southern California meant, no snow on Christmas. Granted in the past 30+ years it has snowed here...once...but Im no longer holding out for a 2nd time. I did wish for it to be cold and dreary outside, to rain to make you want to be stuck inside for Christmas. The majority of Christmas's here have been around 70 degree's. The tree's wither if not completely fall apart, if you were crazy enough to still buy a real one. And the fire place was only lit late at night, and only after my sister and I would beg to have it lit. Today things are a little different.

I still dream of what it would be like to wake up to a white Christmas. Last weekend while I was out in Payson, at church that morning the band played for the last song "Im dreaming of a white Christmas" I have never heard that song sung in church before, but it made tears well up in my eyes all the same.

The dream of a white Christmas isn't something I long for as I did as a child. A White Christmas may still be in the cards for me sometime in my life ahead. It is pretty amazing how we always want what we can't have, and so my children today carry the wish I carried for years, "We want it to snow for Christmas mom!" And I smile and say, "well we may have that one day, we may have that one day still." Dreams shouldn't ever be let go of, dreams are given to those of us who hope still in what the future may bring. I won't stop dreaming about a White Christmas, and I won't stop dreaming about what the Lord may still have in stor
e for us ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home