Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Where have Christmas Cards gone?

Have you noticed lately the recent decline in the sending off and receiving of Christmas cards? A few years ago it became all the rage to create a 'family' picture and have it created into a 'card' and mail that as the Christmas card. I think its a shame. Christmas cards to me represent that one small time you sit down to write out a greeting to those you don't always have the time to connect with. Even a 'bulk' letter lets those who mean something to you know you wanted them to know what is taking place in your lives.

In years past, during the period of time where I was still married, I must have sent off 3 or 4 boxes of Christmas cards each year. Cards to families we had ministered to in the ministries we had been involved in, cards to those Bill had connection with in business and then all the usual close friends and family. The first year alone I didn't have the heart to send out cards. The year after I was a walking zombie in some ways and decided to utilize the full excuse of my 'situation' and not send out cards, but come that 3rd year the guilt started to set in and I did send out cards. A family picture? No, not one of me and the kids, it brings tears to my eyes just seeing pictures of me back then when you could see the emptiness in my eyes, but of the kids I did send out a card, one of those 'picture cards'.

Last year, with my feet firmly back on the ground I did get boxes of cards sent out once again, not in the same quantity of the past but I did manage to get cards out to those who I felt really needed to hear from me, and that brings us to this year.

I was determined to have a shot of the 5 of us, to have one at the beach as stated even on my 101 list, but I think in the midst of the hustle and bustle I just couldn't find the time to fit it in. Then all of a sudden it occured to me I had the perfect shot, the picture of 'us' up in Idaho right before the trip home, that ultimately changed my life as God yanked that steering wheel back from me and took control once again of my life. That was the picture, the one that needed to be sent out, the one that represents who we are because of that day, the one that celebrates the life we have because of that day. And with that in mind, I will from this point foward never feel the need to 'create' a perfect moment to snap a shot of us in order to get out in the cards each year. No from this year forward the picture I will include will be one that best represents 'our family' in whatever shape its in each year and celebrate the blessing of what we traveled through.

It is still rather sad, as I look over the cards I have received up till now. Fewer and fewer christmas cards, a letter here and letter there and still the continum of 'picture cards'. And with that it makes me really pause and think, when and where did we decide that sending off a Christmas card was no longer needed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home