Friday, August 10, 2007

Unlocking the past


I haven't been in the mood to write much lately. Overwhelmed in life, finding myself in a period of quiet time this weekend I thought I would sit and reflect a few minutes.

Another small aspect of my life is coming to a close. Wednesday my mother walked me around my grandmothers property showing me the things to keep an eye on while its on the market. My grandmother is now living in assisted living and my parents have spent a huge part of their life getting the place ready to sell. Just in time for a slump in the market unfortunately. So on Wednesday when I came home from work, the girls and I headed over to Oma's place to see what they have done.

Walking around the property my heart was flooded with childhood memories. Simple, sweet and tender memories. The rock in the backyard that was so huge in my childhood just a small boulder now. The towering avocado trees not so big any more. Flower and fruit trees much sparser then years gone past. Its just not the same with Oma not there. My dad's 'stuff' gone. Hard to believe, my dad keeps everything, anything and parts with nothing. In years gone past my grandmothers place was one of those places he would tuck things away at, so he wouldn't get the look from mom. All those areas had been cleared out. It was just....... different. The same, but not the same. Empty.

Today my mother got an offer. One too good to turn away from, and in two weeks the place will be someone elses. Another piece of my past, unlocked and walked away from. Sadness fills my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home