Friday, May 05, 2006

If you are going to play the 'game' you better have the right equipment

Being that I have never really been a huge sports fan I never really got the concept about having to spend a ton of money on sports equipement. Today that changed. I decided to try out a different pair of tennis shoes (ones I already owned) on the court and in the gym the other day. My legs felt tremendously different.....apparently I have wore my Sketchers beyond their lifespan. So last night I surfed the web and found Tennis Warehouse.com and did a ton of research on shoes. Given the fact this will only be the 2nd time I have ever purchased shoes online, I am a little scared, but after playing tennis today with different shoes and finding that my calves were not aching after-- Im more determined then ever.

Today's lesson was wonderful. I finally mastered the top spin. I've been taking lessons now for about 9 weeks. Not too long, and this past week I added on additional lessons here in Vista. Great 3 days a week....and then with a private lesson today that was 4! Wednesdays lesson gave me a great feel for my serves and backhands, not that I was mastering them, and that in turn gave me more confidence for todays lesson. I am having so much fun even though my skill isn't there yet. I have this determination to want to compete. That's at my very core, if I find something I like I want to do the best I can at it, and I really enjoy Tennis. Tennis has the speed and skill of playing baseball, the precision of playing golf and much to my delight you get to wear cute clothing! I know I am such a GIRL! The other aspect of tennis I like is that you have to rely on who you are playing to keep score and make the calls as to whether or not the ball is in or out. Its a sportsman type of game unlike any other, that I am aware of, and I realize my knowledge on sports is very small. I have also been looking into the Tennis camps around, I think it would be so fun to attend one!

So today, I took another step in my quest to be great in this. I spent a fortune on a great racket. The coaches at the courts sell some of the top of the line rackets and Zach had me try out the best they had today. I find it funny ....kind car shopping funny, dont start off with the lower end, start off with the best racket....which of course I LOVED! Plus he and Tom picked out one that matched what I was wearing and I GET TO HAVE IT STRINGED in the colors I want...I chose black and white. So Im broke, but I have better gear, no wonder men never have any money! It all goes into their sports gear! My gosh I have had an epiphany! I think a highly important one!

Im not looking to be famous in tennis. Im looking to be good at playing. Good enough to play most I meet, man or woman. After trying out the Singles Tennis Club at church for a bit I found I was feeling to foolish. I don't want to have that feeling again. So while Im not reaching for the Stars, I am aiming for an attainable goal...I think :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home